Step #1 / Preparation
3-4 Days Before Waxing
"Preparation is key so prep your skin in advance of your wax," says Roxy.
Three to four days before waxing, Roxy recommends performing an all-over light exfoliation with a product like Jan Marini Bioglycolic Resurfacing Body Scrub.
"This is really the best way to prevent your skin from getting any ingrown hairs or nasty skin irritations," explains Roxy.
On The Day
Come waxing day, Roxy recommends taking a warm shower with no soap around 30 to 40 minutes prior to beginning the hair-removal process and ensuring the skin is dry and oil-free before starting. You'll also then want to dust your legs with a baby powder such as Johnson's Baby Powder.
"The baby powder will help the wax to grip onto the hairs better while absorbing any moisture and natural oils left on your skin and also creates an extra layer of protection," says Roxy.
Step #2 / Set Up Your Space And Gather Your Supplies
To avoid getting wax on carpet or other floor surfaces, Roxy recommends laying an old towel over the area where you'll be waxing.
"You will also need to grab your wax strips, baby powder, tweezers and a post-wax skin soother," says Roxy.
Step #3 / Waxing Time
Once you're prepared your skin, set up your space and assembled your products, it's time to get to work. Here's how Roxy recommends going about it:
- Remove the wax strip from the packet and with two hands rub the strip back and forth to create heat so the wax softens
- Once the strip feels warm, slowly peel the strip away from the wax so it creates two strips with even amounts of wax on each side.
- Starting from your ankles and working your way up to your knee, place the sticky side of your strip onto the skin going with the growth of your hair and rub the strip back and forth (about 30 seconds) into your skin so there are no air pockets.
- Before pulling the strip off make sure you are removing it in the direction opposite to your hair growth (against the growth).
- With one hand, firmly pull down the area close to your wax strip so the skin is taught and with the other hand quickly remove the strip (pull towards your body as much as possible). Make sure you do this quickly to reduce any pain associated with slow removal of strips.
- Place a newly warmed up wax strip next to the freshly waxed area and repeat, repeat, repeat until your legs are smooth.
Step #4 / Finishing Touches
For the smoothest result, Roxy suggests checking your legs for any stray hairs which have escaped the wax and removing these with your tweezers.
To remove any excess wax and calm the skin, either use post-wax wipes if these are provided with your strips or coconut oil.
"If your skin is feeling irritated or sensitive, jump into a cold shower and remember to avoid any exercise, moisturisers, deodorants, saunas or tight clothing for at least 24 hours," says Roxy.
Jan Marini Bioglycolic Resurfacing Body Scrub, $96, available at kellygeorgeaesthetics.com
Marzena Large Wax Strips 20 Pack, $9.59, available at priceline.com.au
Tweezerman Slant Tweezer in Geranium, $37.95, available at adorebeauty.com.au
Want even more beauty? Tune in to Get Lippy, the podcast that lifts the lid on all things beauty from the editors at InStyle, marie claire and BEAUTYCrew.
Hit play below or search for Get Lippy wherever you podcast: